Kashi Health is dedicated to making genetic testing accessible and easy. Providers can collect samples in-office and feel confident that patients can collect samples properly in the comfort of their homes. The instructions provided below are a step-by-step process for collecting samples for all of our genetic testing services.
Buccal Swab Collection Instructions
- Obtain or request three (3) buccal swabs for specimen collection.
- Ask the patient to rinse their mouth with cold water and to swallow (removing excess saliva) before they begin collecting the sample.
- Have the patient use one swab at a time for sample collection by rubbing the swab on the inside of their cheek about 20 times (about 15 to 20 seconds) in a circular motion. Patients must swab firmly enough that their cheek is pushed outward during swabbing.
- Ask the patient to use the other cheek for the next swab. The same process is repeated for the second, and third swabs alternating cheeks.
- Dry all the swabs by gently shaking them in the air for a few minutes.
- Return the dried swabs to their original sleeves.
- Place the swab sleeves containing the dry swabs inside an envelope. Do not place the swabs in a plastic bag, as mold may occur. Label the envelope with the patient's name and the date that the sample was collected.
- Ship the patient's swabs to Kashi Health as soon as possible after collection:
Attn: Kashi Health Laboratory
10101 SW Barbur Blvd, Suite 200
Portland, Oregon 97219